Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I have found that what I want for other people is often not what they want for themselves. I have also found that 99.9% of any advice I've given has fallen on deaf ears and most people seeking advice don't really want any opposing opinions. What they're really seeking is validation that the path they're taking is OK. So, when I see posts requesting advice, what I really hear is "tell me that everything will be OK in my life if I continue to do what I've always done."

The only thing I can do is share my own personal experience. And often times, that will fall on deaf ears, too.

But...

When the person is ready to change and ready to listen to and learn from the experience of others, their ears will be wide open, so sharing my personal experience--rather than advice--is never a waste of time.

People will do what they want to do until they decide that their choices aren't working for them. For some people that process takes months; for others it takes years. They choose a timeframe that is most comfortable for them. I cannot nudge them to hasten the process with my words or actions. And every time I try to do so, it only serves to frustrate me.