Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Toronto68

June, I haven't been around alcohol very much since I quit, but I vaguely recall that I wasn't impressed with the smell. Everyone will give you their version of being careful around it, and it's very reasonable. On the other hand, some people (no idea how many or few) can be around it and not feel like it's dangerous.

My question is a different take on the subject. Don't you think the displeasure you experience around the open bottles or the wine sitting in the cups or on the breath of people in the room would be visible on your face at some point? And that it could be a problem in a sales context? If I had to be involved in the sale of pork, I wouldn't last, because the disgust would be on my face and the customers would speculate there was something wrong with the meat. (I don't eat pork and don't like being around it, and I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve.)

I guess I am asking whether you would be up for trying to get a different position if that's feasible, so that you are not running the risk of not doing well at work AND eliminating the alcohol context if that would be a bonus for you. Or am I overthinking this?