View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Corkie

Is this a normal reaction?

I haven't been through too many break ups with anyone other than my now XABF.
I was married before, and my separation from him ended up being amicable and better for all of us, we just grew apart.

A couple other brief relationships so the parting of ways wasn't bad.

In the past, with my Ex ABF, break ups between him and I hurt very bad. During one of the more intense breakups I had never cried so hard or for so long for ANYTHING. With all the other break ups with him too, I always felt that inkling that maybe one day, we'd find our way back to each other.

This time? I'm surprised. I am decluttering my home, kids toys, important papers etc. I find that when I come across something that belonged to him, or has some memory of him I want it, not only out of my hands as quickly as possible, but out of my house too. I've put some stuff in the garbage, recycle and in a bag of his stuff. I guess this is more of a gneral break up question as opposed to an alcoholism question, but I have no one else to talk to. Is this normal? It almost feels like it was such a traumatic thing for me, that I just want it all out of my house, to clean my house and rid my home and memory of him.

One other thing...despite what i just said about wanting everything out, I came across papers that I had. These were pages of all the bad, nasty or mean things he did or said for the duration of the time we lived together. (Not even 1 yr) These papers were kept previously to remind myself of exactly what kind of man he is when he drinks. I re-read them and felt nauseated and sad. Sad that another homan being treated me and my kids that way, and sad that I let him treat us that was for the time I did.
Do I get rid of these papers or keep them as a reminder to NEVER let anyone treat me that way again?
They are currently in my recycle bin....should I take them out and put them somewhere safe? Just now as I type this I think perhaps I should leave them where they are, what if his son ever found them wen he gets older, ya know?