Thread: Hello Again...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
racinstalldev
Bob

Thanks everybody for your thoughtful replies. I just had another long talk with my wife, who is being nothing but supportive to me, and we agreed that I should call my doctor to let him know what I'm doing.

I'm not scared about not having a drink today, but I am stressing about activities out with friends in the future. I've always used alcohol as a social crutch, ever since I was 16 I would drink to gain the courage to overcome my shyness. Back when I was dating, I had to have a few to calm the nerves before picking her up. Before my wedding... yep, we all had a few, seemed like a fun thing to do.

And good point about reading all about alcoholism, the things I've read here have got me to admit I have an issue, and have also helped in bringing it up to my wife. I knew she knew, although I don't know if she knew the true extent of it. I think I told her 20 times after we got home safely Saturday night that I can't have even one drink, ever. I'm not the type to have one or two and stop. Not possible.

Now that I've told somebody beyond the anonymous community here, I'm much more committed to making this important change, and will keep posting and reading.

Thanks again,
Bob