View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
glitter

At the same time, another woman came over to chat with me and said something like "I can remember how I felt during my first meeting; it was pretty scary." She was the person in the room I identified most closely with myself as I was looking around the room, in terms of age and general characteristics, so I was glad to be making a connection with her. We chatted for a bit and she made sure to give me her name and told me to call her. I said I would do that (and I did, the following day -- we're meeting for coffee next week).
This is SO important! Major kudos to you for having the courage and following through on doing what you said you would do by calling her. For me, this was one of the hardest things....making connections and meeting women in recovery. I felt and still do to some extent that I wouldn't measure up. It's crazy because I have never had so much in common with so many women!

Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
I haven't had too much of a struggle with wanting to drink on days when I went to meetings, but it was definitely harder on the day that I did not go.
For me, this statement is key. I am 108 days into my recovery. I attend meetings every day (a mix of AA and NA). In the beginning there were days when I needed to go to 2-3-4 meetings a day. When I felt the anxiety of being in my own skin....off to a meeting I would go. I haven't had that need for a while now. It gets better every day....my obsession to use has been replaced by the comfort of knowing I don't have to change the way I feel today - not that I don't think about using, it's just different.