Thread: Hello Again...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
caribbean
Drunk in Recovery

Ha, you should have been at the AA meeting I attended last night! There were many people in the group who were laughing about all the times in the past they thought they could control their drinking, or that they were fine because they made it X amount of time without a drink, so they weren't "real" alcoholics. Sounds like you are coming to recognize yourself clearly.

It's quite possible to have a serious and dangerous problem with alcohol even if you are not depressed. I have suffered from depression in the past; I am not depressed at this time, but I still need help with the alcohol problem. For me, AA was a place to get started on my recovery. I don't know yet if it will do it for me or not, but it has helped and not been harmful.

I recommend reading a lot, too. I have read a bunch of books on getting sober, personal stories of alcoholics, AA's Big Book, and many articles online. I read the sad story of Audrey Kishline who founded Moderation Management and later wound up killing a father and daughter when she was driving drunk. I read and read and eventually had to take some kind of action -- for me, it was going to an AA meeting. Otherwise I was just going to stay stuck in my head, with the same kind of thoughts that got me into this problem in the first place...

Like you, I have no problem going days without a drink. But it doesn't matter how long I go without one; what matters is what happens when I *have* one. It's taken me a long time to understand that alcohol really doesn't affect "normal" people like it affects me. It makes me feel good, happy, energized, more in control. Most people it makes feel *less* in control, slows them down, and eventually makes them feel sick. Not me -- whee!

It can't hurt to go see a doctor, although many doctors seem to still be very ignorant about alcoholism. Case in point was a guy I met the other night who shared the story of how he was sober for something like six months and reported this to his psychiatrist. He said he was thinking about having a beer just to try it, and his shrink said, let me know how it goes. So he had one beer, and it went fine, and his doctor said "Well, the world didn't end, did it?" Nine months later he was back in the hospital and back in rehab.... I wonder whether people who don't have an alcoholic brain, no matter how educated they are on the topic, can truly understand what it is like to want to drink the way I like to drink.

I'm glad you're here. Keep posting and let us know how it goes for you.