Thread: Hello Again...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
racinstalldev
Bob

Hello Again...

After a summer of the same ole same ole after my initial post here, I finally had what I hope is that event which finally motivates me to never have another drink ever again.

Saturday we attended a party for my Mother-in-law's 60th birthday / retirement, held at a hotel. We were planning on staying the night, but our dog became very ill last week, so we didn't want to leave him alone all night.

We left our house at 5:00... after i had already drank 8 beers. I told my wife all along that I was driving home, I wanted her to have a good time, and she did, and consumed a number of drinks herself. I actually ate dinner, and had seconds, which lately has been somewhat rare while in the process of drinking... so I figured that cancelled out the beers I had before we left. I felt totally fine the whole night, but never spent more than 10 minutes without a beer in my hand. I don't know how many I had, I really don't think I want to, but I never felt drunk.

Anyway, we left the party close to midnight, I felt totally fine, and began the 25 minute drive home. Shortly into it my wife noticed I was not driving well at all, swerving out of my lane. I denied it at first, and then told her I would try harder, we're OK, she was drunk too. Well, when I missed an exit, an exit I have taken 100's of times, I realized something was wrong, really wrong. I couldn't focus, I couldn't concentrate. I immediately pulled over, and while not the best answer, my wife did proceed to get us home safely, even though she was probably legally drunk too.

The fact that I had my two daughters, 4 and 7, in the back, just scares the living hell out of me.

The fact that I didn't feel drunk scares me more.

I think what happened to me is what happens more often than not lately when I drink a lot. My body begins to shut down, and I pass out asleep wherever I may be.

I told my wife everything, admitted to my problem, she had a pretty good idea already, she sees the recycle bin (although doesn't always see the cans I throw in bags in the garbage can). She was quite happy that I admitted to it, and admits that she shouldn't drink as much either, she has a medical condition where she really should only have a drink or two per week. We both realize that we were quite lucky nothing bad happened.

I had such a hangover yesterday (even let my Browns ticket go to waste), and lately hangovers are rare for me, which proves that I had way too much to drink, especially given the fact I was driving my family.

Today is Day 2 of my sobriety. I realize that I can't think about if I can keep this up for years, months, or even weeks. I need to take it one day at a time. I will think about the weeks, months and years once they're behind me.

Thanks for listening,
Bob