View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kmber2010

Blondie there is good input in this thread.

I found that I needed to accept that I was an alcoholic and that I could never drink again. From there I felt nervous, scared and the pull of bottle was strong because for so many years it was part of my daily routine.

Recovery for me was critical and it came in stages. I kept it simple at first knowing that I will not drink today. Finding activities and such to keep me occupied during my trigger times. Baby steps.

From there I began getting support for underlying issues and I began to build self esteem again (sadly many of us lose that due to our addictions) and starting eating healthy, getting out and about. Each day and each positive experience was something to build on and strengthen my determination to do a bit more.

I find now because I have worked very hard that my life is blessed in sobriety. I don't think about having a drink anymore and the idea of hopelessness is completely gone. I look at all I have accomplished which is now quite a bit but in those early days and first few months were just isolated events if that makes sense. It is now that I see the full picture and see all that I have done in this short time.

You can do it. Find a program of support that you connect with and work it. While I no longer do my sessions as frequent as I did at first....I still go and I find that there is always something new to learn. I keep with that support and of course I come to SR quite often. I may no longer come here to help me stay sober but now I hope that I use my experience and what I did to help others as so many were there for me when I had no clue which end is up.

Everyday it gets better and so many of us have crossed over to healthy lives in sobriety and we are solid in our recovery. Sobriety is a new life my friend.

Keep reading and sharing. We are here for you