View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

Hi blondie - I had a few long periods of sobriety followed by equally long periods of drinking. I did the AA thing each time, too.

I think each person's approach to sobriety is going to be a little different, so maybe you need a little more than AA (perhaps counseling?), or maybe there are things in your life that are too stressful....? I don't know - just throwing a couple ideas at you.

For me (this time) I did a little more self-help stuff. I had stronger cravings than I did the first couple of times getting sober, and I learned to get through them. There were evenings that I spent reading on SR. I found other ways to occupy my time and tried different tricks to get through the hard times. It's not fun going through the initial days, but I feel like a stronger person now and after 5 months I have very few desire thoughts.

I just decided that I was willing to put in the time to work on this (like my life depended on it - because it does!), in hopes that things would eventually get better. And they have, even beyond my expectations.

Hang in there.:ghug3