Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Tool, perhaps the operative word is "sober" and I'd debate whether you're using it correctly.

Sober = of sound mind and judgment (at least that's how it was defined when the AA book was written). I'd question who WOULDN'T want to be of sound mind and judgment.

Back to your story though, if your time away from alcohol was miserable.....or at least "not fun," then of course you went back to drinking. Heck, I honestly have to say I'm TRULY impressed you went that darn long! Almost makes me wonder if it was really "that" bad.......or if it was as bad as you remember it now *(our perceptions DO change over time).

Anyway.... I was told this in early sobriety and I believe it to be absolutely true today: IF you're not able to find a way to be alcohol free AND happy......your "sobriety" will be short lived. I may not have anything like the life I WANT right now: I don't have the car I want, the house I want the money I want, the this, that or other that I want........but thanks to the program of AA I'm absolutely able to be happy for most of every day.

If recovery was simply my "usual" life minus the alcohol.....I promise......I'd bring alcohol back into my life darn quickly (or some recreational drugs.....or something). For an alcoholic, the problem isn't the booze - it's not the alcohol.......it's their alcoholism..... and alcoholism is not fully treated by just not ingesting alcohol. Sure, no booze is a prerequisite, but that's just the start. Without some tools, without a new outlook on life, without a new way to live......I'm just the "old me - not drinking" and believe me, I know, "me not drinking" isn't long for this world.

You don't have to live that way if you don't want to but you're welcome to if you do. I figured if I was going to quit drinking I might as well go for the whole enchilada too. That same deal is available to you as well. Please take it.