View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
I haven't had too much of a struggle with wanting to drink on days when I went to meetings, but it was definitely harder on the day that I did not go.

I haven't found a sponsor or "officially" started the 12 steps (although I'd already read the AA book) yet. I have definitely been eating more instead of drinking when I feel the "RIDs", though -- as I get to know more people in the program, I will probably feel more comfortable calling on them for help during times like that. I'm not there yet, though.

Wishing you all the best in recovery!
that first sentence I quoted is part of the magic of being in a room of recovered drunks. I can't but somehow WE can... Those rooms and the energy you can just FEEL in there was my higher power for quite a long time even though I fancied myself a "good Catholic boy." While I had a belief in a God, I sure as heck didn't believe He'd be bothered with helping me with this drinking problem. I just figured it was something I was going to have to do on my own. When AA OBVIOUSLY reached out their hands to me, gave me #'s to call, said hi to me at meetings, and so forth - I started to have the first glimmer of hope that this deal was possible. What a different feeling!!

Restless, Irritable and Discontent...... the calling card of untreated alcoholism. Almost like a scout-team, out on patrol, just checkin in to see how pliable you are to grabbing that next drink. THAT'S what those steps treat though. Take away that compulsion completely and eradicate the insanity that convinces you that next "just one" is ok and you're off on the sobriety path.

Thanks for the story. You brought back some memories that will come in handy as I've got a new fella' to work with.