View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Antiderivative

Many alcoholics become irritable and discontent when they put down the drink. At least you have a chance to address the underlying issues of what is causing you to feel irritable and discontent. The issue could simply be the cravings and not able to satisfy it or there could be other underlying symptoms. I don't know you enough to form an honest opinion, but that is what a sponsor is for. Have you talked to your sponsor about this?

If your irritability and discontentment is simply coming from the cravings and not being able to satisfy them, then you need to learn some tools on how to deal with them. Surrendering to the fact that you are an alcoholic and bad stuff happens when you drink may help.

Another important tool is to dismiss the thought of drinking when it comes into your head with healthier and more positive thoughts. This may take some practice, but you can do it. Remember that you may have no control over the thoughts that come into your head, but you do have control whether you entertain them or not.

Here are some tools that have helped me to stay away from the first drink.

1. Once that thought moves in, kill it, and move on to a more positive thought.
2. I look towards sober mornings. I love waking up sober and never regretted the fact that I didn't drink the night before.
3. Remember the first one gets you drunk.
4. Think the drink through. While a "couple" may sound nice, I over shoot a couple every time and end up drunk late at night and usually in a bad place. I especially hate the morning after.
5. Remember your last drunk, a bad drunk, the stupid stuff you have done, the trouble and pain it has caused, why you are posting here, etc.
6. Reach out for help BEFORE you take your first drink, not AFTER.
8. Remember, it gets better and "this too shall pass".