View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zbear23

I do absolutely believe that AA becomes a substitute addiction for many...but I also don't think that's such a bad thing. Frankly, since I define addiction as a way to regulate my feelings from the outside, and avoiding being in touch with my insides....depending on outside stuff to make me "feel good," I think nearly everyone in our culture has been conditioned to some sort of dependency. I think AA is one of the healthier ones. Plus....the actual 12 step program served to lead me out of the need to be dependent on people, places and things to feel good, and into finding that spiritual center within me that empowers me to take responsibility for myself without blaming anything else for my thoughts, feelings or behaviors.

I went to daily meetings for my first six months, and in retrospect, I now understand that alcoholism, being essentially a "brain disease," my brain needed reprogramming. I needed to build new neuropathways and allow my prefrontal cortex to resume its healthy development. This take time. Frankly, I think it usually takes anywhere from one to three years to develop those new "sober" neuropathways. And paths are created by repeatedly walking in the same direction, over and over. Meetings were essential for me, both in terms of the support (love) of the fellowship and the guidance in the 12 step process.

I don't consider AA meetings a lifetime sentence, but I can understand the motivation to attend in order to be of service to others. And I myself still attend a few meetings a week, mainly because I like them....I like to be available to the newcomer....and nearly all of my friends are sober. It's just as much a social activity for me as anything else. I mean...what a great thing to know I can go somewhere where "everybody knows my name," besides a barroom. I love the sense of community.

And I've seen too many "meeting makers" who didn't make it....because they thought they could absorb recovery via osmosis by simply sitting in meetings.

As far as I'm concerned, AA is not a no drinking program. It is a design for living program that works better if I don't pick up a drink.

blessings
zenbear