View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

I've got a friend who came into AA same time as me...he still goes to 6 meetings a week, chairs a couple and sponsors a few people...they all go for meals and coffees after and most of the time coffees before meetings...

He has started going to fewer meetings last couple of months...coincidentally around the time of his last amend...why? (cue big gasp from members who haven't worked the steps)

Well he has a new GF, been abroad a few times, got a new hobby...still goes to a few a week but has now started making non-AA friends too.

I was taught AA is a bridge to "normal" living...sure you have, for many reasons, IMO a responsibility to help out the next Donna once you have recovered (finished steps to spiritual awakening) as i have to be there for the next Cliff but unless you have time to go to a meeting a day and the want there are no hard rules as to meeting attendance.

It helps me to bear in mind that life will throw a few curve balls at us along the way and we are very lucky to have meetings available to us...i can almost guarantee that in my life i will at some point be back to 4+ meetings a week not to stay away from a drink but at that time im just going to plain need the support and company of a room full of drunks like me:-)

Working the steps towards a spiritual awakening meant that i started to rely on a power greater than me, call it a higher power or God, that loves you, won't let you down ever and has been waiting for you to just "wake up" to remove the obsession for alcohol from you...keep a close contact with the higher power of your understanding and you never need drink again ever...the rest of the journey is up to you, i.e. you can get as much happiness, peace and serenity as you want with work...the sky's the limit...well actually there is no limit but you get the point;-)