View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I guess it's natural to look around and see what other people are doing, and wondering why, and am I doing it right, are they doing it right, especially in the beginning.

What I'm seeing, two years in, is that the meeting/fellowship part of AA isn't what's crucial to recovery. I think it's good to go to a lot of meetings early on, because there's a lot to learn. And it's only by going to a lot of meetings that you start to sort the wheat from the chaff--what's important from what's not as important. People who tend to go to a LOT of meetings (as in, every day or close to it) after several years of sobriety, tend, in my observance, to be either folks who are doing meetings in lieu of the Steps ("can't stay sober unless I go to a meeting every day"), people who have the time and dedication to devote a great deal of time to "carrying the message" to newcomers, or people who just enjoy the fellowship and choose to spend their time with others in AA. The first group I kinda feel sorry for--it must be a burden going to all those meetings just to keep from picking up a drink. For people in the other two groups it's a matter of personal choice.

I nearly always make at least two meetings a week. Sometimes I go to three or four--if I'm having a rough time (meetings almost always pick up my spirits) or just feel like being there. Sometimes I go on a speaking commitment to another group. I feel like it's the right amount for me right now. Eventually you will find the right amount for you. Meantime, don't worry what other people are doing. I think having a home group is important, just so you can do service work. Beyond that, the number of meetings people attend is up to them.