View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tacks

Thanks LBW, excellent write up.

You remind me of a friend of mine -- disabled war veteran who's wickedly intelligent and highly respected. He, like yourself, decided that he simply needed to quit drinking as it was clearly holding him back. He sought out a counselor's help on some of his personal issues but he did not use AA.

So he now regularly goes to the bars, drinks non alcoholic beer, socializes and enjoys himself without ever suffering any negative consequences. He, like yourself, has strong will power and discipline.

I know that I, me, do NOT have such strong will power and discipline. I am NOT going back to the bars and pretend that i am capable of abstinance (sp?). Maybe i could get away with it once or twice but i'd quickly get right back in to. Why risk it. Not worth it. I don't think most of us on here are capable of such.

BTW, i'm finding that NA is good place for my alcaholic self to be for right now. Good supportive place to go to while i'm trying to get back to those activities that i used to do before i started boozing so hard.