Thread: Aaarrrgghhh!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
meditation

Steve here's another way to look at this. Suppose you had a friend that was hell bent on keeping you from reaching out to every person on the street that was addicted. Suppose this person insisted on you going into a treatment program to cure you trying to place your friends in treatment programs. Suppose this person insisted their treatment for you was the ways and the means that you would "recover". Suppose this person felt you were a nearly a lost cause but they planned on "saving" you and is that not terrific? They get to be the savior, the white knight, the prince and the hero because they saved you from yourself. And in turn you might be grateful for their interventions but then again you might resent them for taking your choices on how you want to recover from saving the world yourself.

For myself as an addict I wanted to have some choices on how I would get better, or IF I would get better. I really am a stubborn person that resents it when others decide what is best for me. I feel much stronger when I can do for myself and live my life without someone else thinking my life is being lived all wrong and not to some standard they think I should be living.
In what we offer to others would we want it offered to us? Now a hug for you.