Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Goat
capra laeviculus

I've spent a few nights in jail. My longest stint was only three nights, fortunately.

But I came out of it a changed man, in a lot more ways than I imagined. My political viewpoints have changed. My ignorant ideas of who is sitting in jail while I'm sitting on my couch have TOTALLY changed.

Basically, there are a whole lot of people *just like me* sleeping in those rotten bunks every night. A lot of addicts and alcoholics. They're all nice folks as long as you're not a jerk. Yeah, the stress level is high in there, and you shouldn't let down your guard too much, but it'll be ok.

I know for sure, though, I don't want to go back there. It wasn't anything like I imagined it would be, but it still sucked.

I have often thought, since then, that everyone should get the chance to spend a few nights in jail. It is a very enlightening experience.

And, the other stuff the court will do to you may be a blessing too.

I had to drive with a breathalyzer for a year. I thought it was ridiculous when I got it, but when it was time to give it back I was very unhappy. It was a lot easier for me to stay sober when I knew that if I drank I would not be able to drive to work the next day... yeah, it's very sensitive. It once gave me a positive alcohol reading because of the minuscule amount of alcohol produced by the yeast in a doughnut.

They may send you to an outpatient treatment program. I have been to two of those. They were very useful, because they had a very different perspective from AA, and I was able to get a lot that I can still use.

I know that feeling, though.... the waiting was MUCH worse than the punishment. I didn't have to wait quite as long as you have, but it was pretty close. By the time my court date finally came I wished I'd taken the option of walking in and pleading guilty the monday after my arrest.

-Goat