View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bolina

What was your last meeting topic?

Mine was detachment.

From Courage to Change.

"What does another person's mood, tone of voice, state of inebriation have to do with my course of action? Nothing, unless I decide otherwise.

For example, I have learned that arguing with someone who is intoxicated is like beating my head against a brick wall. Yet, until recently, I would always dive right into the arguments, because that was what the other person seemed to want. In Al-Anon I discovered that I don't have to react just because I have been provoked, and that I don't have to take harsh words to heart. I can remember that they are coming from someone who may be in pain, and try to show a little compassion. I certainly don't have to allow them to provoke me into doing anything I don't want to do.

Today's Reminder
Detachment with love means that I stop depending upon what others do, say, or feel to determine my own well-being or to make my decisions."

I certainly don't have to allow them to provoke me into doing anything I don't want to do

Oh man. The amount of times I have gone down this road. Still do. It's a very hard habit to break. Because I do want to do it, you know? When I am provoked, I react. I try and remember the word responsibility......that I have the ability to respond, Try and put a pause in there somewhere, hopefully before my eruption.

Detaching is hard. At first, I had to physically remove myself from the room. Sometimes, I had to get in my car and just drive. With practive, I am able to make non-commital noises and go and do something else but in the beginning....man, I made it known that I was **** well detaching and don't you know about it.

It helps, though. Removing yourself (physically or mentally) from the source of the madness when there is drink involved makes for a more peaceful life.

How do you detach?