Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
K8E

I was looking through the book recomendation thread and found myself typing stuff I'd never admitted to myself before.
I think it might help explain why I ended up here on SR....

"I got 'Drinking:A love story' today.
I was wondering this past Sunday if I could and/or needed to stop drinking.

I have luckily never hurt anyone except myself with my drinking. But I noticed subtle changes in my drinking MO. I was getting 'Sneaky' about hiding how much I drank. I'd never finish a glass before I re-filled it and I'd sneak an extra glass of wine or bottle of beer when my husband left the room. I had started to think ahead about where and how I could drink. My filter of excuses for how early in the day I could have a drink was getting thinner and thinner. I used to think I'd only drink alone if he worked late and I needed a little something. This led to me feeling it was OK to pretty much drink whenever the kids were in for the night and I felt I could 'Switch off'. Urghh. I hate that.

Then I flipped open an old copy of a magazine and saw a couple of letters recommending this book. It sounded like it could have been written about me. So I ordered it on Sunday, stopped drinking that day and here I am with my book on day 4 of being sober.

Not trying to cut down. Not trying to quit. Doing it."