Thread: Confused
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NightandDay

From Courage to Change - Oct 12th

Hi there Jerect -

Hope you don't mind my posting this reading from Al-Anon literature. I have it bookmarked because I opened up to this particular reading one day and it really spoke to me.

October 12th

"I NEEDED my husband to get sober so that we could live happily ever after, because I couldn't face the ugly disease that overshadowed every aspect of our relationship, and I couldn't face the emptiness I felt in my own life. It was so much nicer to think about a future of bliss, if only he could change.

In Al-Anon I had to unlearn a lot of romantic nonsense in order to find a satisfying life in the here-and-now. When my husband and I separated, my fantasies crashed, but with the support of the program, I learned to look to myself for happiness and to my own real life for enrichment. Two years later, when my husband and I reunited, I had to unlearn a new illusion, this time about recovery. My idea of health was now based on living alone. I had to learn to find a balance between taking care of myself and being there for my partner; I had to learn to love again."

I don't know, I just love this one. It has hope and recovery and interdependence. Thought it might provide you some insight/comfort.