Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
marco

Im an Alcholholic....or am i? help please

ok heres my first post......hi everyone.

33 yrs old , and think i am becoming or are an alcholic.....but im not sure.??

(period alcholohlic or binge drinker )

Heres my stats:

I have had periods of heavy drinking off and on, and the older i get the lesser they are. for example if i go on a lads weekend away for football wed all drink friday to sunday pretty much non stop and then sober up for monday at work.
this happens about 2 times a year. Does this put me in the risk zone?

When i go on holiday i generally drink most days moderately ( 2-4 beers per day) 1 or 2 days of "Blow out" does this mean im in the risk zone?

i can stay sober for 4-5 weeks at a time and regularly practice 1 month per year or more of complete sobriety. i generaly dont get drunk during the week except perhaps 2 weekdays days in total per month. however drink mostly alll weekends some weekends moderatley and some weeks heavily.AM i in the risk zone?

I never touch spirits or strong drinks, whisky 5 times per year and at that it only ever 2-4 shots at a time, combined with wine for dinner and beer.

My maximum intake before i get drunk is about 5 pints or 1 bottle of wine, after this i generally continue to about 8-9 pints or 2 bottles of wine per time which is the point where i start falling asleep, getting annoying, or getting very wobbly. Is this risk zone amounts of alchohol to put me in risk of alchoholismc?

I dont get urges to drink instead i drink out of habit, and would have no problems having a beer here and there during the week watching football or with dinner, ?

If i dont want to drink i wont, however if i decide im gonna drink i think i should be allowed.

My body isnt able to handle large amounts of alchohol, which means with not a lot of beer i can look like iv drunk for days on end, and hangovers are pretty nasty even if i only have 5 beers. Im wasted all day next day most of the time if i do drink 5 pints.

My wife doesnt like me drinking as when im drunk i drop the act of "yes dear" ill do whatever you ask and become rebellious, and say exactly what i think...she thinks its because im drunk that i behave that way. i think its because im too weak to stand up to her otherwise and shy away from telling her i dont want to be told what to do ALWAYS or what she doesnt want me to do? instead i build it up and sure as hell it comes out when iv ben drinking in tsunamis of courage.

i work religiously,have called in sick about 8 times because of hangovers in the last 10 years.

My job has never been at risk because of drinking habits

Iv never spent all my money on beer so that i couldnt pay bills.

iv never stolen money to buy drink.

If its the case that im in e risk zone, then how come all the other weekend alcholics arent being picked on? my wife doenst get as drunk as i do when she drinks but in my opinion she is happy with 2-3 glasses of wine for the whole evening. I drink twice qs much as her, in my opinion i drink averagely she drinks under average and her comparing my 6 pints to hers is double is an unfair deal.

if my wife wants to phone me every hour ans ask where are you where are you now where are you now, its not strange i turn my phone off and ignore her...whatever hapened to unplanned and spontantouity? do i have t schedule every minute of ebveryday to suit her calender or chain of plans and thoughts?

ok heres the problem..am i in denial or is she being hard on me by demanding me to drink lioke her , and tell me that i have problems because she doesnt like me drinking as much as i drink.

My opinion is , ....i can go a bit OTT when i choose, but over the whole its not quite out of control yet. Yes i do dissapear for longer than i say by the od hour, but miostly its to get out of her way more than i want to get pissed. Sometimes i get pissed just because shes not there to shout at me.

Anyway i promised id get some proffesional advice and go tto meetings but im afraid my small doses of alchohol binging will be nothing in compartison to the othe rpeople in the group and i may make them resentful toward me as my problem isnt at the scale of most of the others?

i havent drank since monday last week 8 days ago ( first time in 7 weeks before that ) and were having a football tournament next saturday, id like to have a few beers with the boys and know shell go off her head, Do i say to her "leave me alone" ill drink if i want iv only had beer 1 time in the last 7-9 weeks. or do i bow down to her and not bother? neither would really bother me but i would like to be able to choose mself and feel that i can drink at a sociable level. She demands complete surrender forever..

What do i do? how bad is my alcholism? is it saveable? is it ok for me to drink ont time every other month? even if it means i get drunk as the rest of them?

im confused........HELP