View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Harry01854

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Daytrader, I'm going to read that link. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Let me tell you how ridiculous the situation has gotten. Saturday night, after a drinking session with my husband, he hid half a bottle of whisky in the garage. The next day he couldn't find it anywhere! He asked me where it was but I was 97% sure I didn't move it. He also had no recollection if hiding it.

Later, he called me from work and we continued to discuss where it might be, and if I couldn't find it, make sure to get to the store before it closed at 5pm to get some more rum for the night. I eventually found it in the tool box. He still had no memory of putting it there.

But I thought to myself, what a ridiculous conversation to have. Normal people don't have that conversation. Discussing where the alcohol is cuz we were too drunk to remember, and instead of taking that as a sign to stop drinking, discuss getting more!!!!

It's total insanity. It was embarrassing to even write that.
Okay, so I have to own up here. I laughed when I read this hmmmmmm.

Normal alcoholics, including me and my wife, and others that I know, do have conversations like this. You and your husband are not soooooo unique.

"Discussing where the alcohol is cuz we were too drunk to remember, and instead of taking that as a sign to stop drinking, discuss getting more!!!!

Yup, that's what we here in AA call post signs. Why do we miss them? There out there, in blinking neon lights, 12 foot letters and all, and we miss them, why? My own opinion is, I'm an alcoholic, and at the time an active one at that. About the only signs I could see were "Alcohol served here.," "liquor store," "get beer here."

I remember the empty feeling I had in my gut one day at work when I dropped my pint of vodka on the floor and it broke. I didn't have any more money and still had six hours to go before I could get home to what I had there.

Eventually I found a way out and was told I never had to feel that way again. I found it in AA. And I found a new way to live life in the 12 Steps.

Keep coming Irish and keep posting.

Harry