View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post

How long have you been sober? what made you finally say enough is enough?
3 1/2 yrs.....

and truthfully, I had to LEARN enough was enough. I didn't want to quit when I did quit. I WANTED to learn how to drink without the consequences of drinking (I actually believed such a thing was possible and I was really convinced I'd be the one to find a way to do it). I was so delusional it's almost funny to me now. Anyway... I got my 3rd dui, a judge slapped an alcohol tether on me for 9 months and I was ordered to attend at least 2 aa meetings per week or I'd go to jail. I was also ordered to attend therapy and a full weekend "retreat" type thing run by a rehab facility but staffed with AA members. During my first month of so of being forced to stop drinking, I was given the gift of teach-ability. I learned just how screwed I was....and I was told what I needed to do if I didn't want to return to that life - so I did what those folks told me to do. I resented it at first...but when the payoffs started coming I literally RAN to AA, spiritual principles, the steps, and so forth. There was NO denying the results, that's for sure.

It's the results that keep me here. There's NO WAY I'd still be going to AA if it wasn't obvious to me that my life is better with it than without it. If sobriety and living as a recovered alcoholic wasn't more fun and more enjoyable than the possibility that just maaaaaaaaybe I could try to drink "successfully" again one more time.....I wouldn't stay.