Thread: insides twisted
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chino

Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
i still do not know how to set the boundary that i will only see her when she decides to get clean.
Try making the boundary general in nature and it will naturally include her: I will not associate with active drug users.

I met a couple of friends last night for dinner. I was late and they were telling me how incredible our waiter was, including being a recovered addict. I have no idea how that all came up in conversation.

My friends were drinking margaritas and I drank water because I'm on NSAIDs for a while. They got a little tipsy and apologized to him in case they weren't behaving. He said no problem, he drinks way more than they do.

As soon as he walked away, I said I thought he was a recovering addict? I no longer wanted to hear anything he had to say. He may have given up his drug of choice but he's still an addict because he's abusing another one, and it clouds everything.

He kept trying to draw me into conversation and I kept giving one word answers, before picking up my phone and pretending to text someone. I paid in cash last night too, because my credit card has been skimmed twice. I did not trust him.

steve, my RAD is not friends any more with even one of her enablers. Didn't matter how good their intentions were. She's friends only with the people who had the courage to tell her no. She respects them, not the others.