View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Jomey

This is a great thread. I really started to ponder my own spirituality because of it.

"Religion" is pretty easy to talk about and define for me. Catholic, church going, believing in God, in the Judeo-Christian definition. I do feel Him in my life, sometimes more closely than others, but I know He's always there.

But spirituality? The essence of who I am? WOW. I drank for most of my adult life, so being sober is also a growing up and a getting to know myself plainly, without any addictions - no drinking, no excessive/useless worrying. I feel like every day that I am sober (coming up on three years next month) a little piece of the armor that I built around my soul, my heart, my essence every time I got drunk falls away. The armor protected me from my emotions, but it also smothered them, and nearly me. I feel like the longer I stay sober, the more I grow into the person I was born to be, the more "chinks in the armor", soon the armor will fall away completely, and all that will be left is me. Clean and sober me. My spirit, my soul, sings on the journey to that day. The building momentum - that's my spirituality, that is my God in my life.