Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tatertot

Anyway, quick update here...

It is now mid-September and we have been dating for about 3 months now. Everything is still going very, very well. I must say it is so very refreshing to have someone who is so completely willing to talk about anything and everything so honestly! We have had maybe 2 little "disagreements" but we talked about them immediately and discussed our feelings about it and realized that they were just misunderstandings and we cleared the air right away. Again... so refreshing

He is still just as dedicated to his continued recovery and has passed the 16 month mark on his journey. He still goes to 2 different AA meetings every week along with 2 different Bible Studies. I am still attending my 1 Al-anon meeting every week.

We have even gone on a short weekend trip away together and managed to get along very well the entire time and even have huge amounts of FUN along the way (I took him zip-lining for the first time in his life... it was a huge thrill for him!)

The one... downside, sort-of... is that I have had to suspend my volunteering for the time being. Once the shelter/recovery center found out that we were dating (we weren't trying to hide it at all, we just weren't making any public announcements either...) I was asked to step back for a few months as are all volunteers who have family or loved ones going through treatment (granted he wasn't exactly actively going through treatment, but they still wanted to set the example that it is not a good idea to date volunteers, which I totally and completely agree with). So I am able to go back in November and the volunteer co-ordinator has assured me that this in no way impacts my impeccable record with the shelter over the past 6.5 years. She also said that she has enjoyed watching me act in a "friendly and appropriate manner with the guys" over the years. So I am happy about that.

Anyway long story short is I hope that this will be just the beginning of what could be a long term, happy relationship for us both.

Wishing all of you health and happiness as well...

T