View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Antiderivative

I don't have a God/HP in my life. If I do, then I am unaware of it. There were times in my life where I was antagonist to a HP and times in my life when I belabored to find one, utilimately to no avail. Toady, I don't fight the concept of one nor do I actively seek a HP. It will happen, when it happens.

In the meantime, I still have to work a spiritual program. To me, spirituality is a personal, inward journey to discover the essence of my being through meditation and contemplation. It leads to personal growth along with a deeper awareness and reverence for myself, others, my community, and nature as a whole. Its a connection with deeper emotions that may bring about a profound experience and that psychic change that Dr. Silkworth talked about ("Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change")

Even though Steps 4-9 talk about God, they are essentially a personal journey inward. By doing them, you will be on the way to discover the essence of your being. You cannot be happy, joyous and free with a dirty house. Some people may have to rely upon God or a HP and that is understandable. Nonetheless, I believe that spirituality is in inward journey. It is introspection that requires honesty.

However, my spirituality begins with a simple question, "Do I love myself enough today to not kill myself?" I am not talking about suicide. I am talking about the slow, painful death that I bring upon myself with the first drink. Barring any accidents, it will be a slow, painful death. I am grateful that I don't want to slowly kill myself today. That is the bedrock of my spirituality.

In my own opinion, there is nothing more spiritual than an addict/alcoholic who stops standing in front of a fan and hurling their own **** at it. Once you move away from the fan and turn it off, you taking a huge step towards sanity. There are other things you may need to do, but that is the most important step.