View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

Thanks for this thread. I am just starting to re-connect to spirituality and trying to figure out what spirituality and 'god' is for me.

Throughout my life, my connection to spirituality has increased and decreased. I assume that might be normal (whatever normal is). Also, sometimes when I lose connection to something, I re-connect to it in a much deeper way.

I also connect to nature and the universe. That is my deepest sense of spirituality. I also do aikido (martial art) which emphasizes connection to all beings and protection of all beings. I think that parallels my own sense of spirituality. Aikido tends to emphasize center, grounding, connection, and spaciousness; I have even considered using spaciousness as a 'higher power'. Spaciousness means a lot to me.

I really don't like the term 'higher' power. Because my sense of spirituality is horizontal, not vertical- not a hierarchy. I don't see 'god' as above humans, but part of. Like a big spacious container for everything.

My only concept of god is white light and peace. I tend to think there are multiple gods and goddesses if there is any god at all. It just makes sense to me that there would be multiple energies in the universe.

I go to several buddhist meditation centers. I am not quite buddhist but I am drawn to it. I love meditating. I also feel most connected to spirit/universe when I concentrate on my own center and grounding. (For me, center refers to the lower abdomen, and grounding refers to feeling connected with the earth.)