Thread: New to it all
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Patch10 View Post

It hasn't had any real negative effect on my life however.
If that's ^^^^ true, then what are these?:
Now I am taking adderall and drinking every night.

Last weekend, I didn't take any medication at all - but it still happened. And every day, in the past few weeks I would start sweating in the middle of the day and I would wake up sweating in the middle of the night. I assumed this was all a side affect of the meds but when I had taken none last weekend and it still happened, I got concerned.

I started doing some research and learned... WOW... I could actually be going through alcohol withdrawal every single day!

This could be why my heart pounds, I start sweating and I have night sweats.... hmmm.

The whole thing freaked me out.

This whole revelation about the fact that I have likely been going through withdrawal every day for a while really turned me off from alcohol and I am really freaked out and scared. This can't be my life?! However, it wasn't difficult for me to drink 3 glasses of wine and stop. But I am curious as to why this is happening after drinking just 3 glasses? And why today but not yesterday?

I am not sure if I can "turn into" a normal social drinker - I would hate to think I can't but the fact that I am questioning it probably means I can't. But I don't want to rule out the possibility either.

I know I need to really address this but I am concerned about the physical affects - will my heart always pound the next day even if I just have a few drinks? Or did it happen this time because I was still within the week of my "detox"?
I am not planning on having any drinks for quite some time now (if ever). It's time to nip this thing in the bud.
Keep an eye on yourself and try to learn to be honest with yourself about what's happening with this new plan. Don't watch what should have happened or could have happened....watch the actual results. If you find you continue to have the issues above (interestingly enough you started by saying there were no negative side effects then proceeded to list many) you may want to consider the validity of your plan.

You'll find many ppl here who, like yourself, didn't realize they had a problem until it was too late to do something about it on their own. That's the nature of the beast though. Nobody wants to stop doing anything they like to do until they have to.