View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

"... my boundary is that I choose not be around him if he is drinking...

"Tonight (the night after the state of the union) AH was drinking beer and playing video games, so he was obviously choosing to drink, thereby choosing not to spend time with me. Then, he comes to me and asks me if I want to watch a movie or play a game. He even offers to watch my favorite show with me (which he hates). While I really wanted to be able to say yes, I had to tell him that I wish I could, but that he had made his choice that he wanted to drink instead of hang out with me. He points to his cup, and says that it's just water. Um, yeah, it's the beer before the water that is a problem. I asked him if he had been drinking (and I know he had), and he just kind of hung his head and walked away, looking sad. I feel bad to say, no I won't spend weekend time with my husband, but how else is he going to take me seriously when I say that I don't want to be around him when he's drinking?..."

Technically, it seems that he has stuck by what you specifically stated as your boundary. Sometimes (actually, often-times) it's necessary to be very specific with boundaries. Perhaps you should add to yours that you do not wish to be around him 'while' he's drinking, but you also do not wish to be around him if he has 'been drinking' within the past _____'x'_____(amount of time, such as past hour....)....eh......?

Just a wee clarification, eh.

(o:
NoelleR