Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chambie
Recovering spouse

Queenteree, I am in a very similar situation, my AH, sober for 8 months, began drinking again about 3 weeks ago. Of course, I too fell back into that questioning crazy codependent behavior. Which at one point I realized is silly. This is a progressive disease, he can lie for 2 weeks or 2 years and sooner or later it will be clear. He checked himself back into rehab on Monday, after a weekend last weekend much like the one you have described here. But something has changed for me this time. My counselor says "I have found my spirit." I don't trust that completely because I know that it's really easy to lose it again if that is true. But he will not come back home without clear boundaries. We have a business and I am a full time school counselor, I won't lie, this has been the week from hell but...I'm OK. My sponsor told me last weekend that I have got to start taking back my power in little pieces, and every time I take a chunk, I find a little more of myself. I have held on to this all week and it is so true. He asked me what would happen if he decided not to go back to rehab. (this was Sunday, we were waiting for a bed, and he was about 12 hours sober) I thought about it for a minute and I said, "you will need to find another place to live." and I meant it. He knew that. I felt bad about it all day but by Monday morning I felt better. When we got there and he decided that he didn't want to stay, I had to say..."I'm not taking you home." It's not easy. I don't know what each new day will bring but I know that I am feeling stronger. Hugs

"The very thing that held you down, is going to carry you up." -Dumbo