View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Chicory, you are an amazing woman and you're doing a GREAT job putting all the new skills you've learned over the past few weeks to work. That takes a lot of courage, and I applaud you. When I couldn't make my late alcoholic boyfriend leave my house (I was the owner, he was not), I called my local sheriff/police department for advice. Eviction procedures vary somewhat from state to state and even from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but there are steps you can take legally to have your son evicted from your home.

Here in Virginia, the procedure is to send the person you want evicted from your home a registered/return-receipt-requested letter telling them they have 30 days to leave your home or they will be forcibly evicted. Then, when the 30-day period is up, with a copy of the signed eviction letter in your hand, contact the sheriff's office/police department, explain the situation, and ask for an eviction. You don't need any reason other than you no longer want the person living in your home.

The police/sheriff will forcibly remove the person from your home once you follow their legal procedures--they just can't do it on the spot without following the proper steps. My boyfriend didn't want to suffer through the humiliation of being evicted, so he left before the 30-day period was up. I never had to involve the sheriff, but I knew I could if need be.

It was difficult to face my boyfriend after he received/signed the registered letter, but he surprisingly didn't confront me with anger when he came home from work that day. He just hung his head, avoided eye contact with me, and went about his business. He never mentioned that he received the letter, but I knew he had because I received a signed receipt from the post office. He began looking for a new place to live shortly thereafter--I saw apartment/roommate ads circled in the newspaper and heard him making calls. I did not ask him about his progress. That was his problem, not mine.

And while he may not have lived the life I would have chosen for myself or someone I loved, he was able to carve out a life for himself and managed to take care of himself. But he never would have achieved any type of independence if I hadn't turned my back on him completely.

Sometimes loving someone means letting them go and walking away. I know it's hard. I've been there, done that.

You are an amazing and courageous woman. You can do this.