View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mel8899

So stressed, need support

I am not sure where is the best place to post this, but I will start here as I am 12 days sober and having trouble due to the situation.

I spent all day in the ER with my mom yesterday because she is dizzy and falling down and just basically stoned since her idiot Dr gave her Klonopin. She sees the Dr for the last 30 years because he will simply write presciptions for EVERTHING. Been arguing with her for years over this. She is now 67 and taking Klonopin (after the Xanax quit working), Vicoden, Darvocet, Ambien and is diabetic. She is as much an addict as I am and my father was with the alcohol, but because it was legally prescibed, it is very difficult to get this issue treated.

Basically this has been an issue for my whole life with my mom, but now that she is 67 it is becoming dangerous and impossible to ignore. Being an addict as well, I am much more aware, my brothers and sister are more judgemental and willing to deny the problem. I have been trying to get them to listen to me when he put her on Klonopin which I know is a really dangerous drug. My mother does not suffer from anxiety as much as depression, but this Dr doesn't ask questions, just writes scripts. She got the Vicoden from the Gastro Dr??

The ER personnel were nice until I listed the meds (which my mom was very upset with me about) and then they got a little judgmental. They referred us to a detox center and we convinnced mom to go, but when we got there they did not seem to think she would meet the medical criteria for insurance coverage because she was taking these meds "as directed". Unless we were able to come up with over $3000 to secure her a bed in case the insurance denied, they would not admit her.

Wound up taking her home and having to spend the night. She is so mad at my sister and me and lied to everyone about what she took and how long and how often. I have dealt with her issues for years, my brothers have been spared so they are all surprised and do not understand my lack of patience and my frustration at this situation. My sister is helping, but even she thinks mom is not lying on purpose, she just does not know better. BS, she is a manipulative addict I have recognized for years. Yes she is confused, but she is so used to hiding this and lying it is second nature.

Today my sister found a detox in Miami and we are working on getting her there Monday. My sister is leaving and this is all going to fall on me to handle. It looks like a great place and we need help because mom has a lot of health issues and detox will not be safe without medical help. It will be a long hard weekend for me though, because she is trying to find ANY excuse not to go and is just picking fights. I am trying to be as patient as I can, but my mom and I have never really been warm and fuzzy. She has always been needy and content to be a victim and happy to have her children take care of her and it has always fallen mostly on me to do so. I am sick of it and out of sympathy. I am determined to get her admitted Monday and not let my brothers criticism or anything else ruin my 12 days, but I am so tired and stressed and sad that is has to come to crisis mode when I have been trying to tell them for a long time that mom is just as much of an addict as my alcoholic father was when he collapsed and almost died.
I have managed pharmacies for years and although we never dealt with controlled drugs, a huge red flag went up when I found out about the Klonopin. I asked her why he prescribed it and she said the Xanax did not work.
I just need to get through this and get her into a safe place and the recoup and go forward from there. She need new drs and there will be so much to have to deal with even if we get her off the benzos. Gonna look for an Alanon or support group even though I do not go to AA for myself. I feel like some support and understanding dealing with addicted parents will go a long way to help me not pick up.