View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mel8899

Wow can I relate, my mother is also not only addicted to Vicoden, but also has Klonopin and sleeping pills as well. I hate to say this about my own mother, but she truly does enjoy being a victim. I have 3 siblings, but it is my sister and I who bear the brunt of my mother's "helplessness". She is 67 which is not old by most standards these days, and she looks a lot younger, but she has been convinced she was old for 20 years now. We listen to an endless barage of things she cannot do and how hard her life is. It is ridiculous because her life is great compared to many. She has a job, a nice house, 4 successful kids and 5 grandkids. She just is not happy unless she is bitching though and in light of the last 5 months of my life where a job loss has led to bankruptcy, loss of my house and my dog dying, my sympathy has run out.
She is diabetic, but could remedy that if she would eat right. The pills have messed up her stomach and she refuses to cook, but will make homemade fudge and brownies. I could go on, but bottom line is I have done everything I can, but her drs are idiots and she will not switch because they are the ones giving her the pills. I have offered to cook for her, take her to a new dr etc, but she has no desire to get better. She has been like this since I can remember.
Sofa, I like your response and need to work on mine as well. My mother has a way of sucking you into an argument with excuse after excuse to the point where she is the biggest trigger for me and my drinking. I can't stand talking to her, but am not in a position to remove her from my life. I need to detach and it is hard because she refuses to do anything for herself.
What a sad way to live, and I have to keep reminding myself that I am who I am because of her. I never want to live the life of a victim so I have become very independent and strong.