View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Apology accepted. The thread bothered me, as you know (because I said so), mainly because just sharing the gory details of our worst experiences doesn't really promote recovery. We've ALL done things we were ashamed of when we were drinking. Heck, I've done things I was ashamed of when I WASN'T drinking.

But to rid myself of shame and guilt over them, posting them on the internet--even in a recovery forum--isn't necessary. Sponsors or private email or conversation with trusted recovery friends can accomplish the same thing.

There are also privacy issues that people on sites like this tend to forget. This is not a closed forum. Anyone can surf in here and read. So some of the more personal, shameful stuff that people might post here could come back to haunt them. I'm not trying to make everyone paranoid, but I've posted on forums for a long time and it isn't unheard of for an ex-partner or employer to dig stuff up and use it against someone. A bit of discretion in topics and posts just makes good sense.

All this is just by way of long-winded explanation about what troubled me about the thread.

You are certainly welcome here, and with recovery you will find yourself living more and more in the solution rather than dwelling in the past where you once felt shame.