View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cherrie1

Son stole from family

My son is new to recovery and has been clean for 3 weeks and going to meeting every night. He was recently caught taking money from my brother in law and confronted. Naturally when he talked about it at the meeting they all understood because they have been there and even his doctor said that it takes a while to stop the bad behaviors. Since he was caught it made my brother in law realize he must have been the one to take a lot of money from him at Thanksgiving.(we knew nothing about the missing money). My other sister in law had jewelry stolen at Easter. They suspected it was possible someone in the family and we asked and said they just want to get the stuff back but no one admitted anything. Well he is meeting my brother in law tomorrow night to admit it took the money and will pay him back no matter how long it takes. I told him you can not begin to recover unless you come clean about everything and he finally admitted he took my sister in laws jewelry.If the store is open we will go tomorrow but it has been 5-6 months so I know the chances are slim to getting anything back. Since they have accused my son I have pretty much stayed in the house and not seem any of them. I know I did nothing wrong but am embarrassed. Having gone though this with my other son we should have seen the signs but missed them. Occasionally we suspected but I don't think we wanted to go through that hell again and missed them. So now he has to tell them he took the jewelry too. Has anyone had to deal with this and what was the outcome. My sister in law is like a sister to me and I don't know how I can face her after this. My son recently got into a little legal trouble, that was how we found out about his problem and I pray they do not want to press charges because it won't bring anything back and he needs recovery. I know me and I would never be able to press charges. He needs to try to do what ever it takes to make things up arresting him would hurt us more than anything. Anyway I was just wondering what others have done in this position and how their families have handled it.