Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Originally Posted by Live View Post
That IS disgusting!

You didn't know any better and if you had, you were helpless and depdendent as a child so we need some protective gear to survive the wounds and pains. It's hat gets us through the day.
Then we turn into adults and have to review it all and change ourselves and it really isn't easy at all.
But worth it and ever so freeing.
Thank you. I was thinking more about it in the shower this morning, and how I never thought much of my cousin, either. I didn't realize until I was in high school or even older that she was actually borderline mentally handicapped. My mother was always making snide cracks about all the kids in that family, and telling their mother how to raise them better, and to this day (although it finally dawned on me about 5 years ago why), she doesn't understand why my aunt makes no effort to get together with her.

My hope and prayer is that my own children see this for what it is much sooner than I did. I have told them a little bit, and they don't care for her constant monologues and complaining, but they still love her and want to spend time with my parents on occasion, and are hurt, torn, and upset that I won't go near my parents. I feel the more I say about why, the more danger I run of being just like my mother, who was forever working to turn us against our grandmother and cousins.