Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post

Your mother is clearly toxic, so maybe she just accuses people as a normal kind of thing to do because she's a jealous, bitter and resentful _person_. Maybe her childhood had nothing to do with it, some people just grow up to be toxic adults for no good reason.

One of the issues I had to deal with in my own recovery was recognizing how many of those "twisted accusations" I came to believe over the years. As a child I had no way of discerning the insanity of my parents, never mind filter out the truth from the venom.
Mike
I guess I need to stop looking for reasons. And it's true it doesn't really matter why she is the way she is. I saw a counselor for awhile for EMDR therapy, and she, too, pointed out that my mother has it in for lots of people. I was thinking, as I drove home today, about how my mother has hated one of my cousins (well, the entire family) with a deep venom since this particular cousin was very young. She's even repeatedly mimicked this cousin's sister, who has Turner's Syndrome and cannot help the way she is, at least, not the things my mother mocked, such as weak muscle tone as a baby....yeah, an adult saying, "Duuuuuuhhh," and hanging her head to the side, looking stupid, to mock a baby.

Boy, is it good for me to hear myself say that! Why could I never see before how horrible that is? I guess because I was so used to it, it was normal.