View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Tomm

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Hey mate. Nice one on today. Things often turn out alright, the facing them is often harder than the actual experince itself.

In relation to the problem you speak of about being a binge-drinker and drinking again when you feel better in about a month. I notice you refer to yourself as a binge drinker and not an alcoholic. Not a criticism just an observation.

For me until I could openly acknowledge and truly accept myself as an alkie then I was destined to just drink again. That was my exact experince too. My first stint in AA I didn't refer to myself as an alcoholic, I didn't mind wreckhead, f*ckhead, waster, Binger-drinker, but not alkie.

The reason for me having no shame in refering to myself as a recovering alcoholic, is so imperitive for my recovery, is that the first drink is the one that will kill me. For Joe Average binge-drinkers that simply ain't the case.

By knowing I'm an alcoholic means that I know the severity of my condition each day. It means I can live my life, and live a much more rewarding, grateful and serene existance, but I have no reservations as to where I will end up if I take that first drink. ie- dead in the gutter.

The AA meeting sounds like a wise move man. Remember the key to all this sobriety and recovery lark is change. The same person with the same mind and thinking in the same way will just end up repeating the same mistakes over again.

Peace Out
That's a great observation mate. Its crazy how insidious alcohol can be. I'm ALREADY having to fight the urge to downgrade my problem, and it was only 9 hours ago that I was utterly racked with anxiety purely as a result of consuming alcohol.