View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
topspin

This is a really interesting thread ! Thanks Maggie

My experience was getting clean and sober for over 7 years, and decided (after a few months of deliberation) to take a crack at drinking "socially". Should qualify that I never had a "slip" ....always secretly thought that was because I drank waaay more and was in waaaay more trouble than the folks who did; ....among other reasons. (luck, good fortune ?!? )

Anyway, as hard headed as I was, I gradually drank more and more for another 9 years (early on , desperately justifying, rationalizing, and any other self-delusional tactics I could dream up ) ..... until things got about as bad as they could've possibly gotten.

Curiously; .....I really wasn't able to acknowledge the fact that what I'd done was a "relapse" until after I'd gotten sober in April of this year. Wouldn't wish my experience on anyone, but do feel a deeper sense of gratitude for the "blessing" of sobriety this time around ; ...because of it.

Thinking of, or valueing sobriety in terms restricted to just the passage of time; seems a little too simple. For me, the quality of life in recovery , may be just as/more important today.

Grateful to be sober almost 5 months soon. Dang; .... Guess my gratitude is kinda like my sobriety; only possible ODAAT.

Peace , y'all