View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

Ah yes, the 'definition' of 'terms' in recovery....lolol

If there's ONE thing I've learned in my time in recovery is that there are a whole bunch 'o terms whose definitions are totally subjective. Some of these terms are.....: alcoholic; alcoholism; addict; addiction; sober; sobriety; clean; mind-altering chemicals; and even the terms recovering, recovered, and recovery.

AA and NA have their own 'official' definitions for the terms such as sober/sobriety and clean.........:

AA's 'official' definition of sober/sobriety is freedom from alcohol (note, it's freedom from alcohol only....nothing else in addition.l

NA's 'official' definition of clean is free from all mind altering chemicals (of course, with the exception of nicotine and caffeine).....an interesting point here....: since NA considers alcohol a drug (which, in fact, it is), freedom from alcohol is included in their definition of the term clean, just not singled out, so to speak. Therefore, folks in NA who are clean, could also be considered sober in AA, but not the other way around.

Since I'm a member of both, I just have to be aware of where I am; if I'm in AA I use the term sober and refer to alcohol only. If I'm in NA I use the term clean and refer to all drugs (not singling out any one particular drug).

As I mentioned earlier, these terms are so subjective, it really doesn't matter what my definition is, except as it pertains to me, but to jump in here.....for me, as an AAer, me definition of the term sober would be AA's 'official' definition....: freedom from alcohol.....period; nothing else.....

Also, I have to agree with those on here who who have said that for non-alcoholics the term sober would probably have a totally different definition, like....: not addicted to intoxicating drink; or not drunk; or marked by termerance or moderation; and the list goes on.....

So, Maggi, you just go on and define it any ole way you wanna (ain't nobody's business but your own), and congratulations on your one week....!

(o:
NoelleR