View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
PurpleWilder

Please don't feel slighted or alarmed by the fact that the rehab will not tell you anything. HIPPA guidelines often prevent medical facilities from releasing information on patients to anyone who is not directly related to them.

Regarding tough times....

It would be different, I think, if this were a tough time that came in from the outside. Like, a car accident or getting laid off or something like that. But alcoholism is a tough time that comes from the inside and healing from it is an inside job. Don't feel slighted or left out. He has to do the work himself. That's just the way it is. It's not personal.

It is easy to feel alone when you are relating to alcoholics. We here all have felt that at one time or another. There is a group from family and friends of alcoholics called Al-Anon. The group members (no dues or fees, just must be affected by alcoholism in some way) usually meet on a weekly basis and discuss their experience, strength and hope with regards to this terrible disease. It may seem strange to you (as it did to me) that at meetings, they almost never talk about their alcoholics. It is a group for you, to show you how to live your life around an alcoholic.

Please don't be afraid to go to a meeting. No one there will yell at you or judge you. My first 6 months of meetings, all I did was cry. That's OK. They do ask for a voluntary donation of a dollar or two to help pay for coffee, Kleenex (they go through a lot of that) and rental on the room they use for the meeting. If you don't have it, that's OK too. I was so broke my first year of meetings that I often couldn't contribute anything.

You can make it. At some point, all of us here at SR thought the end of the world was nigh. But here we still are. It is difficult when you can get no info on someone you care about. But he is in rehab, where qualified medical personnel are watching him 24/7. He is being taken care of. Try to relax and trust a little. It's hard, but it will make your life easier.

Please keep posting. We are here to help!