View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Divorced 12 years - life is GOOD, boys are normal, imperfect, well-adjusted, both working and doing well in high school/college...they are managing their own problems & issues!!

I met two kinds of people after my divorce - the most common were the bitter and angry souls who couldn't say a kind word about their ex, even in front of their children they would bad-mouth and deride and complain.

And the others were more serene, gentle, had made their peace with the end of the marriage and taken responsibility for their part in its demise and if they couldn't say anything nice about their ex in front of the kids at least they didn't bad mouth him/her.

Guess which ones have the less stressed and f***ed up life?!!

I decided (because it is a choice) pretty quickly which way I wanted my life to be. I needed help to figure out how to be that person I wanted to be (therapy!) and it has definitely paid off - mostly in the mental health sense that I am not holding onto any bitterness or anger towards exH which would only poison me, and by taking 100% responsibility for 50% of the problem I learned a lot about the things I needed to change in myself to become a more loving and loveable person.

Glad you are beginning to see your bright new future! Role modeling people who I admired and whose attitude inspired me was helpful to me too!

peace-
B