View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
spryte

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Ok, I saw this topic on another thread and it got me thinking. (Btw, flutter was the one who said this first). I often see in the forums, where we refer to ourselves as having been an HFA, I know I am guilty of it myself. Yet as was pointed out, how well are you really functioning if you are an alcoholic? Just because we still have a job or a house or whatever, there really isn't that much seperating us from the poor homeless guy begging for money.

So why do we emphasize how well we are doing despite our disease? Does it make us feel better? Superior? Less of an alcoholic?

Curious to hear what others think...and btw, it seems to be most prevalent, imo, amongst us newcomers.
I don`t feel superior; I actually feel inferior. Other people fell so low. Knowing what I know, knowing their stories, I feel self-indulgent and pampered to keep drinking despite this knowledge.

I also feel like sometimes people play up the lows because it serves up some drama. So, maybe the lows aren`t that reliable to listen to.

And then I think briefly about my lows that I don`t tell anyone about. There`s a bit of drama there, but mostly there is self-flagellation. I think it`s different for women. We don`t beat people up and utter threats and land in jail (DUI`s excepted).

Maybe I should start talking about some lows that don`t have much drama, but that...I don`t know. I`m not crazy, but I am familiar with the dark night of the soul, y`know?