Thread: Dating: Round 2
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

He just casually mentioned over creme brulee and coffee, "Oh by the way, just thought it'd be fun to share, my mom's an alcoholic"? Seriously, how did this topic come up?

Ask yourself, "Why am I thinking about being in a relationship with this man already, when we have only been on 4 or 5 dates?" (this is not a judgment, this is a real question to ask yourself).

Can a date just be to have fun and enjoy yourself? A date, to me, really is about FORGETTING the stuff that is always bogging me down, letting loose and having good, clean fun. Are you able to do this, regardless of who you are on a date with?

It was difficult for me to let a date be about just having fun when I was still holding onto old ideas about dating and relationships, still stuck in the past, still angry or hurt or feeling ANYTHING over something someone else did, and still afraid. And it was hard not to feel these things (it was hard to detach) when I still thought I NEEDED someone, when I still leaned on my partner too much emotionally.

When I began to see that I came into this world alone and I will leave this world alone, AND I was confident in my own ability to take care of myself, the way I saw relationships changed. It is disappointing to me now how many decades I wasted in turmoil and tears all because I could not see that I am COMPLETE just as I am.