Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
NoDaybutoday

jay...first off Welcome to SR. I'm so glad you found this place. The people here are awesome.

Secondly, as the single mother of a two year old toddler, and ex partner to an abusive alcoholic, I tend to think that seeing as you're apparently the Grown Up in the relationship and since there's an infant *in danger* here, you may have to take steps which will irrevocably change your relationship with your wife.

You can't really afford to wait for her to find recovery or to "Get better through therapy" because you have to work all day and in the meantime, she sees no problem whatsoever getting blotto while caring for a baby.

I'm so glad you have support through your EAP.

I'm wondering if you wouldn't benefit from discussing your situation with a social worker who may be able to provide you and your AW with resources you hadn't previously considered. I don't know what available in your areas, but where I live, social workers are available at all local CLSCs (government sponsored health and social clinics), every day on a drop in basis, from 8 to 8. I consulted many social workers while I was dealing with my husband's alcoholism and abuse (during my pregnancy that is).

Honestly, I wouldn't wait around for her to get sober enough to have a talk with her. You've seen clear evidence that a talk won't amount to anything, and your baby is in danger every day she's alone with a drunk mother. I hate to say this, but there may come a time where you'll want CPS involved in this. I'm wondering if you would be held responsible if it was discovered that you knew your AW was actively drinking but took no drastic action to protect your baby. I don't want to be the bringer of bad news; I just hope to present to you some ideas/options.

Keep posting and reading. SR is always open!