Thread: Part 2
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LaFemme

Part 2

Today is Day 29, which means I have one lunar month sober and tomorrow I will have 30 days (wow I can do math;-). The past month has been great on many levels, despite having the cold from hell. I have so much satisfaction from not being ruled by my alcoholic voice for the first time in my adult life. And I am so grateful to everyone here on SR for their counsel and support.

But I am taking this, my first really big milestone (big for me at least) as a chance to move onto the next phase. I used alcohol to escape from life, but there were things I did in conjunction with drinking that added to that escapism (I'm assuming that most of us didn't just stare at the bottle when we drank). For me I would read (chick lit) and watch movies (escapist rentals, had to watch at home so I could drink) so that I would not have to think about the empty places in my life and about what I was doing to myself with alcohol, so I would not have to think about the wasted opportunities. I would do these things instead of reaching out to the people I love, or doing the activities that make life worth living.

This past month I have started reaching out to people again. I have been painting again, although I am not actually sure what I want to paint anymore. I have been taking better care of my dogs, I can see that they are happier and more balanced because of it. Stuff like that.

So my goals for the next 2 months are to get my head out of the other areas I use to escape from life, and start really embracing life. No more escaping into La-La land. I am going to work on being present in the moment. If I read, it will be books that will help me grow, and movies can just wait awhile (except maybe Eat, Pray, Love).

I am sharing this with you all so that I have people who are going to hold me accountable. So please feel free to ask me how these things are going if you ever feel inclined.

Thanks!