Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
luckedog

This is a repeat of another post i made. Maybe it makes some sense here too;
Originally Posted by luckedog View Post
In my experience no matter how long you have quit (if you’re an alcoholic) you can never go back to just a drink or two. Alcoholism by its very nature is "progressive" meaning it gets worse the longer we drink. Example- I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. During that time I "quit" several hundred times. From 2 days to 6 months, every time I started back I thought I could control the amount I smoked. It ended up back to smoking a pack every day. In 1992 I quit for good, haven’t had a cigarette since. I still want one occasionally but I learned by experience I couldn’t smoke just one! To me the same is true with alcohol- except it PROGRESSES; you need more and more until it consumes your life. It destroys your ambition, your energy, your relationships, your jobs ect.ect......
Last year I came to realize I can NEVER drink like “normal” people. Unless I want to allow it to destroy my whole life I cannot drink again! I have accepted that as a fact of life and am moving on . I’m becoming creative again, more energy, healthier, happier, more at peace with myself and so on. I have lost nothing by quitting and gained everything!
This is only my personal experience- nothing scientific about it,every one is a little different! Please be careful, it was that kind of thinking that caused me to slip back several times!