View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Supercrew

I didn't mean any disrespect, although I could see how my reply might have sounded preachy. I just thought when I wanted to become sober that, "wouldn't it be nice if I had people who I was close to be able to steer me away from the booze when we were in a drinking situation and they all knew what I was trying to accomplish. Then I wouldn't have to turn down the Yaegar Bomb, and the shots of tequila being passed around, because everyone would know not to buy one for me in the first place. If I addressed them all at the same time I would only have to do it once, and they would all say, "man that is a great idea!, we won't make you uncomfortable about it." I'm just letting you know what transpired when I tried that route and looked for respect from others about MY decision to quit drinking.

I mean it would be much easier to tell all of your drinking friends, "I'm not drinking ever again, please help me with that". And have them invite you everywhere to be the designated driver, to ask others not to offer you booze, and to basically be a good friend and help you with your decision. If we could all get that respect and support from our friends and family I think it would be alot easier for most of us to quit. I'm am just telling you my experience with that idea, and how it made me feel after the fact. Yes there are people who will help you, (my wife will always steer me clear and ask me if I am OK with attending an event and let others know or even order a diet coke for me.), but if you think 15 of your friends will all react positively towards your announcement and be willing to respect it, you have some of the greatest most respectful friends around. Like I said, this isn't a shot at you, it was from my own personal experience. If you do decide to make the annoucement I do wish you luck and I hope you have friends and family who take it much more serious than mine did.

You did also ask "for advice from anyone interested in giving input", and that is my input. Again, no offense was meant.